Udhay Shankar N wrote:
This is, at the moment, more a thought experiment than anything else - I was looking to see if it was worth replacing my ~3yr old Olympus MJU-410 point-and-shoot camera. I am about as far from a camera / photography geek as it is possible to get - my pictures are mostly family and friends.

Having looked at the cameras recommended, I have come to the conclusion that there isn't sufficient RoI for me to replace my existing camera, which I am quite happy with. Nothing against the cameras - it is, as I said, a cost vs benefit thing.
I bought a Canon G4 when it was released as a prosumer product. It has all the features of a point and shoot and some manual controls. I get wonderful pictures, but it is a bit bulky. OTOH, I always carry a Kodak 5 MP cam (don't remember the model, too lazy to check it on the web) in my backpack. Also nice pictures, but it is small and handy. Both of them are (were) less than $300. I love the SLR, but don't see myself justifying its purchase.