shiv sastry wrote:
On Monday 18 Jun 2007 7:39 am, Bruce Metcalf wrote:

At work we use inductive coupling to power several dozen wireless vehicles. These aren't small, as some are moving theaters that
carry 120 people, and our newest installation is a small fleet of
electric submarines.

Could you explain this in a little more detail please?

Power is transferred to moving vehicles using inductive coupling. A coil with a C-shaped core is mounted to the floor, wall, or dock. A matching coil is attached to the vehicle. The secondary coil is tuned (with capacitors) to the frequency of the power signal, and rectifiers are used to charge batteries.

Accurate alignment isn't required, nor is contact. Both obviously impact efficiency, but in our installations that's not the major concern. Our applications operates with perhaps 1-2 centimeters of clearance between the pole pieces. I'm not certain what the clearance is on the submarines, but assume it's about the same.

The reason we use this system rather than a straight battery system that plugs in to recharge is the long operating times desired. We will occasionally operate these vehicles continuously for 48 hours at a stretch, and that volume of batteries is impractical. With all but the submarines being indoors, IC power was never considered.

More detail on request -- I'm full of this stuff.

Bruce