On 8/6/07, Divya Sampath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Gautam John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Newsweek Disgrace: 'Global-Warming Deniers: A
> > Well-Funded Machine'
> > By Noel Sheppard | August 5, 2007 - 13:43 ET
>
> I find it interesting that this article appears to be
> more critical of the politics behind the position than
> the actual science.

I do agree that attributing scepticism to bad science
> or bad intentions is deplorable.

 Actually, the reason the article talks more about the politics and not the
science is because the Newsweek article is about the politics of climate
change, i.e., how those who oppose regulation to address the problem are
funded. I think this is something that the general public isn't really aware
of. And while I wish the discussion could be purely about the science, the
non-Utopian in me recognizes the importance of questioning the credibility
of the witness, so to speak, in addition to questioning what the witness
says.

As someone who lives in DC and has a "DC job," the Newsweek article struck
me as spot on in terms of its description of the effect special interests
have in the DC political/policymaking space. (The tone may have been
slightly harsh.) Also FWIW, I thought the Noel Sheppard article was
nonsense, pretty much -- and a quick google search reveals this one to be
one of many similar articles (such as the ones in which he accuses the NY
Times of treason for disclosing some of the Bush administration's spying
programs).

Dave