Some of that is a bit snarky on my part.  But the following (from his
original posting) struck me as things Mr. Chomsky has himself been a part of
at least w/r/t this subject and others:

"It's not so much the control of what we think, but the control of what we
think about.

When our governments want to sell us a course of action, they do it by
making sure it's the only thing on the agenda, the only thing everyone's
talking about.

With the ground thus prepared, governments are happy if you then "use the
democratic process" to agree or disagree — for, after all, their intention
is to mobilise enough headlines and conversation to make the whole thing
seem real and urgent."
IT isn't all that difficult to see my point, assuming you substitute
'governments' for academia.  As an example, I'll cite the speaking
engagements, lectures and other presentations, where Chomsky seems to dwell
only on a few key subjects -- usually, the war (both on Terror, and Iraq),
the crisis(es) in Latin America,  and our general ineffectual stance on
foreign policy.[1]

I've attended or listened to enough of these things (thank you Democracy!
Now), as well as read much of his works (both linguistics oriented and
other), to know that in addition to truly understanding how the process of
propaganda and influence works, he has also capitalized on that knowledge
for his own interests.

I can't say its entirely Chomsky's doing though.  More often, a group of
academics or others wish to steer what we're talking and thinking about to a
specific idea, and Chomsky is good at providing eloquent and thoughtful
affirmations of what they already believe, not to mention,assuring that the
room will be PACKED with folks eager to hear that message.

Although I admit that the majority of this _does_ apply more obviously to
governmental institutions, I fail to see how it should be limited to them.
As Suresh noted, the EFF and other causes on both the left and right also
partake in prop-agenda. I hold that Mr. Chomsky's power and force as an icon
in academic and political circles also gives him that same power.

"The more emotional the debate, the better. Emotion creates reality, reality
demands action. "

Indeed.

[1] http://www.chomsky.info/talks.htm