In fact I believe that in India and in countries where the rule of law is a
gleam in some reformer's eye, large corporations such as Citibank actually
employ small time crooks to implement at least some of their policies and
help ensure that their bottom-lines stay healthy and their "meter keeps
ticking"

When it comes to public image,  presumed guilt from a false allegation is just
as damaging to a large corporation as real guilt from a real crime. For
exactly the same reason, the appearance of being innocent and upright is more
important than the nitty gritty of whether they are really guilty or not.

I was reading a random article in the newspaper in the last two days in which
the author contrasted the way in which corporations dealt with damaging
allegations. Soft drink manufacturers in India (Coke/Pepsi?) tried to deny
and wish away stories of pesticide in the water they used. Cadbury's OTOH
responded to reports of worms in chocolate by packaging overkill (even the
customer can't get the chocolate easily). Apparently the latter did a much
better job of protecting their sales. I have no figures to know if that is
true.

shiv