On 11/6/07, Srini Ramakrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also, list unsubscription isn't hard; if you can follow instructions
> that is. Users who are having trouble with lists are usually not
> looking hard enough and give up fairly early, especially since asking
> the list at large for help is easy enough.

OK, the empirical evidence is that a "number" of people have trouble doing
just that. Further, I can state with confidence that keeping track of list
subscriptions is a PITA. I cant even recall which mailing lists use
passwords to unsubscribe, and which ones need a simple email and
confirmation. These days what I do to unsubscribe from mailing lists is to
set the 'send it to trash' option for the corresponding gmail label :-) In
this day and age, anything more is too much work for the job. Seriously.
Yes, perhaps I have to be a bit more organized, but hell technology is
supposed to help me stay lazy.

For many years now I have wanted a system, a mailing list subscription
manager that would provide a single interface to view my currently active
list subscriptions and modify subscription properties

The 'interface' could/should be as simple a list of check boxes with mailing
list names, and perhaps two buttons - Unsubscribe, Vacation.

A mail system like gmail or yahoo mail already knows everything about our
list subscriptions. It knows enough about the standard processes for the
most important list managers (can open up an api to make support for other
list managers avaialble from third parties). And it is fully capable of
putting in hooks to capture confirmation mails from mailman and auto reply
to complete the unsubscribe on the user's behalf.

In short, with access to your inbox, implementing such a system should be
fairly straightforward... right? I'd like to think so. [Maybe one of these
days I'll overcome the inertia to complete the patchwork of procmail recipes
and cgi scripts to have a working prototype]

-Karra