On Jan 22, 2008 8:41 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The worst examples of this you will get are ... in Japan. Or China.

That agrees with my limited experience. Notwithstanding the way Japanese treat
all non-Japanese, it's really sad how they treat Koreans. I find it
both amusing and
sad that two grand champion sumo wrestlers are actually Mongolian - but they
have to change their names to Japanese names. I've been told that
there are Korean
families that have lived in Japan for centuries but who still cannot
become Japanese
citizens.

Don't get me wrong, I've run into plenty of racism in India, and I
don't want to get into
"my country is more/less xenophobic than yours" but Japan is right up there. I
love Japan, and my mother is Japanese, but that doesn't blind me to its faults.

As for whether I'd feel safer in the US or in India, the answer, as
usual is "it depends."
I consider myself "from" San Francisco, and there are parts of San
Francisco that
I am comfortable in that I would not recommend a casual visitor spend
any time in
and there are (a very few) parts of San Francisco I would not usually
visit, or not
visit after dark. [Though the best Pakistani-style food (Shalimar) is
in a slightly
sketchy neigborhood (Jones and O'Farrell) and I visit there regularly
late at night
with no worries. Some of my friends think that's crazy.]

On the other hand, I walked home from work down the length of Infantry
Road at 2am
a week or two ago, and almost without exception everyone I've mentioned that to
thought it was a bad idea and I shouldn't do that again. That stretch
of Infantry Road
seems like the "heart" of the city and should be relatively safe, yet
everyone agrees
that it's not really. On the other other hand, I'm sure walking around
in more a more
residential part of the city late at night would be no problem. So...
there are no
pat answers.

One thing that is clear, is that while the countries may be comparable
in terms of
race and racism, there is absolutely no comparison in terms of gender, gender
roles, or sexism; or sexual orientation and sexual minorities. India has an
absolutely horrible track record in those areas. Contrariwise, I think India
does much better in it's treatment of age - at least in it's treatment of older
people.

Imagine if instead of being a non-white male, he'd been an obviously
non-straight single
woman and consider the differences in experience in the US, and in
India. India is
completely unsafe for someone like that.

-- Charles

I have not seen nearly as much of Bangalore,