On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 3:59 PM, ashok _ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  What they actually do is partially "fund" computerization by providing
>  licenses gratis.

uh, oh... not gratis, isnt the cost inbuilt ? Its just that the buyer
is unaware of it. Partly why the reseller distribution channel works
so well.

>  The organization then implements various systems on the "gratis"
>  software.  After,
>  a couple of years, they are back in the hole when they realize the
>  upgrades were not
>  "gratis", and migrating means spending thousands of man hours and
>  millions of dollars.

I have heard that MS does a lot of charity through their foundation in
India, as a part of which the software is given at throwaway prices
(initially). When the receiving organisation decided to go the Libre
software way it annoyed folks who thought the charity-org was being
ungrateful.

On that note, excluding the company provided laptops, I seriously
doubt if an MS employee in India would buy the full version of
MSOffice for his/her home PC. IIRC, they make do with beta versions
which, although buggy, is still legal.