Giancarlo Livraghi wrote:
<I don't think I have an "accent", though sometimes people in the South
tell me that I sound "northern".  Most of the time>

One of the most amusing things to happen to me is people in Southern Italy
telling me that the way I said common phrases like "va bene" sounded
"northern"- given how basic my command of the language is, I'd have thought
"foreign" or "tourist-like" would be the first choice!. As a matter of fact, my
first Italian teacher was Piedmontese, so that might account for it.

Cheers
Divya