On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Charles Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Would it
> somehow diminish Hinduism if it were NOT "the ultimate?"
>
> -- Charles

I too question our preoccupation (er, not only India, but increasingly
so in India, esp India Today!) with lists and ranks and what I call
the general "guiness"ism.

All the people whom I meet during or after their illness insist that
they have gone to the "No.1 Doctor in India For xxx Complaint". or the
Number One Hospital in Bangalore (that's because God forbid I would
ever go and make hospital visits in another city. The occasions I did
so were all when the patients were terminally ill there.) Where are
the No.33's and the No.5, 8,973,104 -ranked physicians, esp the one
who took a look at my friend's oral cancer and prescribed antibiotics?

 I remember a lecturer of mine who told us that a particular writer
was unique in his use of words (GBS probably)...but that writer B was
"even more unique"!

Deepa.