On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Gautam John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Srini Ramakrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > It's a poverty thing.
>
> That makes sense...

I don't agree. We Tamizh-speakers are as poor as anyone else,  we don't ask
random strangers if they have eaten, nor do Telugus,or Bengalis, or Biharis,
or....I have found this a very specifically Kannadiga trait. Well, it's just
a form of "hello"...but when the lady who cooks in the flat opposite mine
asks me, I can't help wondering if she is casting aspersions on my
cooking...

Deepa.