Hugely readable as always, Shiv. Could I add a tuppence to this?

Quite apart from this view of society within Hindu India, there was until
historically recorded times an alternative discourse going on. I think that
your observations need to be held next to the Buddhist social view as well, in
order to understand better how in that social view, social status was
re-defined, not to mention the obvious comparison with Islamic social views.

In the social architecture that you have modelled, which is pretty much a fair
summary of the Hindu world-view, you have already pointed out that the system
can't be changed. It can't be changed because the 'gate-keepers', if you
please, do not allow changes, because any change will thereby bring in the
acceptability of that and any other change. And that possibility will threaten
the supreme position that the gate-keepers have awarded themselves.

If they are to stay supreme, the view of society they preach must stay supreme,
and there must be no amendment or alteration of this view. Unless promoted by
themselves, under strict supervision to ensure that no radiation has leaked at
the time of transfer of the fuel-rods.

Sorry, couldn't help myself: what I mean of course is that only the
'gate-keepers' could change the process, and they could only do so under the
colour of complicated and esoteric rituals not to be shared with the common
man, indeed, not only the common man but very often not shared with other
'gate-keepers' as well.

Historical examples of this were the absorption of various north-western
tribes: the Pahlavas, the Sakas and the Kushan/Yueh Chi/Tocharian, for
instance, possibly the Gurjaras; the absorption of Tibetan-Burmese groups into
Nepalese society on similar lines and based on similar 'Hinduisation'
(Sanskritisation is the accepted academic word) practices; the absorption of
the Ahoms into north-eastern India, into the melting-pot of varna that eastern
India represents.

The point being? The point is that this inflexible hierarchy, detached from
livelihood, that you have described is far from actual practice. There was
always a way to get important groups in, also ways to re-define the original
positions of important groups already 'in', so that their social status matched
their increasingly important political status more closely.

The second point is that this view that you have shown was a Hindu-centric
view, and it is only over the last millennium (actually, somewhat less, but I'm
feeling lazy this Sunday morning) that the alternative social model has fallen
behind in importance. I am referring, of course, to the long Buddhist tradition
in northern and eastern India (again, because of Sunday-based lassitude, I am
leaving southern and west India out for the time being), which offered an
excellent mechanism for transcending your original position in the pecking
order and climbing out of it, or climbing out of the whole mess altogether.

Even during the early mediaeval Hindu revival, very large sections of society
went 'crypto', as in the case of the Maranos, and there is a close link between
Tantrik Hinduism and the Buddhist practice that it more or less evolved from,
sometime between 800 AD to 1200 AD.

This situation too offered ways out of the designed-in rigidity of the new
varna system. Such competition, and providing such dangerous alternatives, was
obviously not welcome; note that one of Shankaracharya's forays was reputedly
to Kamrup to combat the Tantrik excesses of Hindu belief and practice there and
to bring them back to the pure springs of Vedanta. The 'gate-keepers' fought
this alternative social structure as hard as they could.

It didn't work, of course. The moment opportunity came, people deserted this
born-again, sterile Brahmanism in droves and turned Muslim. The wet-lands of
Bengal, according to one analysis, were converted to Islam through voluntary
adoption, not through the sword.

So, two points: there were alternatives to this frozen state of social status
till about 800 years ago, alternatives which actively competed with orthodox
Hinduism; when these alternatives were stamped out, more or less, another very
effective, far more hostile alternative turned up and was taken up in huge
numbers.

Can we never change our social status? Only under the mainstream current Hindu
social architecture. Alternatives existed before, and may exist again later.
And there is always the possibility of turning Buddhist or Muslim.

I hope I got your point in the first place, and I hope that this observation
addresses some of the issues you raised. One is always uneasily conscious of
possibly having spent huge amounts of time answering a question that was
possibly never asked.

As regards the article, I have a slightly different view, but this has run on
for too long, and with an apology for the length, I'll stop here.

bonobashi