On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 23:29 +0530, Deepa Mohan wrote:
> About the Bong cookbook, dunno...but...Thaths, I wanted to tell you that the
> preparation of plantain flower ('vAzhaippoo') is a fairly labour-intensive
> task. Every one of those small flowerettes has to have its pistil removed;
> the pistil does not cook, and can cause diarrhoea.

the bengali recipe - the "mochar ghonto" cited by ams, mocha being the
banana flower and ghonto being one of those delightfully semi-ideophonic
words for a sort of fried dish - is different. but also requires all the
painful pre-processing. which is why i haven't made it even though here
(again, unlike delhi) the chinese shop has these things available every
day.

-rishab