On Monday 29 September 2008, Udhay Shankar N wrote:
[snip]
> Sumant Srivathsan wrote, [on 9/29/2008 11:40 AM]:
> > I blame Rick Rubin. IMO, the only Metallica album that sounds even
> > remotely well-produced is the 1991 Metallica (The Black Album). Bob
> > Rock got it right.
>
> _And Justice For All_ sounds quite nice, I thought.

But note how it also has almost no bass guitar. It was the first Metallica
album after Cliff Burton was replaced by Jason Newsted, and Newsted
contended that they mixed out his bass parts as some sort of bizarre
hazing ritual. Newsted is of course long gone from the band, but I guess
they really liked that aesthetic and stuck to it.

-Taj.