On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 23:17 +0530, Alok G. Singh wrote:
> Either. I had some half-baked theories about stabilisation of the
> cultures to account for the 3 cycles before the curd tasted good when a
> biologist friend of mine shot all of them down. I buy the probiotic
> (whatever that means) one purely based on taste now.

most yoghurt sold in western supermarkets is sterilised. obviously, it
became yoghurt because there was a live culture, and was _then_
sterilised.

probiotic or live-culture yoghurts are sold with the bacteria still
living. you can only use these as starters for your own yoghurt, and
they often have different - sometimes trademarked, even patented -
varieties of bacteria that are supposed to lead to better taste,
digestion, eternal life etc.

-rishab