On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Deepa Mohan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:31 AM, Charles Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> > Gender is a social construct.
>

> Er, Charles, not entirely...that sentence, as it stands, is all balls!

Hi Deepa, I am very intrigued by this response. If you oppose the idea that
"gender is a social construct" I was curious as to how you define gender.
Through long years of reading feminist theory and women's studies writing,
one has now almost internalised the fact that Gender, as we understand it,
is nothing but a social construct. While I personally find it difficult to
take the "sex (noun) is a social construct", I am quite in wonder why you
would resist the same argument around Gender.

cheers
Nishant

--
Nishant Shah