> So... what are some great books that have recently been published in
> India that are worth lugging half way around the world?

One I've been reading recently - picked it up at a great second hand book store
called best book centre near ravindra Bharathi in hyderabad - is "For the love
of god"  published by Penguin Classics.

It is a significant portion of the Naalayira Divya Prabandham (all the verses
composed by andal, several by nammazhwar and a portion of the verses composed
by the others, including the only one that tiruppan azhwar has composed) and
the translations are better than average, I must say.

Some of the most beautiful poetry I've read for a while.

You will find the divya prabandham itself, in English and Sanskrit
transliterations as well as the original tamil at
http://www.acharya.org/divyapr/index.html

        srs