I've had good luck with supermicro whitebox stuff in the past; they've
certainly got much higher density stuff than just 6 drives/2U!

For 3.5" drives see: http://supermicro.com/products/chassis/2U/?chs=826
(12 drives in 2U)

For 2.5" drives see: http://supermicro.com/products/nfo/2_5HDD.cfm (24
drives in 2U)

WRT Remote Management, they've got some IPMI cards that work somewhat
reasonably.

Find a local reseller and get a quote; I've got no idea what these run.