The reason I posted this news is the fact that wearing kumkum and flowers (and
bangles??) seems to be considered Hindu culture,

Catholics even in Europe and other places are accused of being idol
worshippers anyway so the Indian twist is hardly new. Bangalore has dozens of
flower and lamp decorated roadside Infant Jesus or Jesus and Mary shrines
that are "ditto copies" of Hindu shrines that dot the city everywhere. This
blends right in there with the Hindu reverence of the mother - the "Amma" as
the goddess to worship.

Evangelism in India  (as per my reading) has taken the course of "non
resistance" to local culture, both as active policy and as a result of
individual priests themselves being that way. This is a double edged sword
because in a sense it dilutes and makes the seeminlgy rigid ideology of the
Vatican into a blend that is virtually indistinguishable from Hindu views on
theism.

shiv