>     * Rites of passage.  Rituals of membership.  Membership is earned
> not given due to the geographic location of birth or residence.
[...]
>     * Two-way loyalty.  The tribe protects the members and the members
> protect the tribe.   If this isn't implemented, you don't have a tribe,
> you have a Kiwanis club.
[...]
> guerrillas).  We can already see this process at work in the UK's
> Transition Towns movement with their story telling, honoring elders,
> re-skilling, and leaderless approach (see the 12 steps).

Trying to go tribal without geographic location being a factor is pretty
tough.
Tribes always come together due to physical proximity first. Everything else
second.

This may change if we all start living in pods and ascend our consciousness.
But for now, physical proximity is primary.

This was seen during the migration of the Europeans into the American west.
This was seen during the movement of the Aryans into Asia/India.
This is still seen where the "local family" vs. the "diasporaic family" has
different levels of interaction and indifference.

Protection is still a lot about "protection" from physical violence.
Even for non-physical threats, it requires tribe-members in proximity to act
as a deterrent.

I love the idea.

- Vinit