Hello silklister,

I am hoping that the many clever people on this list can provide me with
some credible resources examining the major theoretical and practical
differences between Indian and Western music, particularly the classical
forms of each. I'm just an enthusiastic n00b, but some of what I've
gathered so far:

1. Unlike Western music's equal temperament, Indian music is generally
just-tempered, with small microtonal variations in notes of the scale
between Gharanas.

2. Indian music does not generally use triads or chords (of course this is
changing with the influence of Western music).

3. (following from 2 above) Indian music doesn't use counterpoint. This is
common in every style of music from this region including western-
influenced pop music (AR Rahman seems to be warming to the idea though!)

4. Where key changes are common in Western music, Indian music is more
likely to feature rhythm shifts and poly-rhythms (this is one of the things
I like about authentic bhangra drumming, as opposed to the repetitive crap
in the movies with excruciatingly fake punjabi accents), esp looking at
popular music of both Western and Indian music. Indian music rarely
features key changes.

5. Many of the above points are null and void for jazz and blues, which
enthusiastically embrace polyrhythms, microtones and amodality.

6. The harmonium is a horrible instrument that has no business being in any
kind of music and must be eradicated for the benefit of all cultures.[1]

What should I be reading to add to this list? Any other obvious differences
I have missed?

-Taj.

[1] This is a fact, not an opinion. It doesn't matter if its easier to tune
to a custom scale than any other piano-keyed instrument, a well-tuned pig-
squeal is still a pig-squeal.