On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Valsa Williams
<valsa.willi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Biju Chacko <biju.cha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/technology/companies/21sun.html?ref=business
>>
>> Well ... what to the Sun and ex-Sun folks on the list think of this?
>>
>> -- b
>>

> What they do with MySQL and Open Solaris would be interesting to know .
> Lets hope Oracle does not undo all the Open Source initiatives of Sun, that
> would be disastrous !

Personally, I am concerned about OpenSolaris.  Solaris as an operating
system probably has a brighter future under Oracle than before, but
the OpenSolaris project does not seem to make too much sense for
Oracle.  I don't see them being too interested in an Ubuntu-like
desktop-friendly OS being developed out in the open. Solaris might
just go back to being a closed-source big iron operating system, which
would be a terrible shame.

As for MySQL, I just don't know.  It is kind of like the Vatican
picking up Playboy, Inc.  It might make sense to keep it going from a
business perspective, but something *just* does not seem right.

Venky (the Second).

--
One hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong.