--- On Wed, 29/4/09, Bharat Shetty <bharat.she...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Bharat Shetty <bharat.she...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [silk] Another Incarnation (Book Review of 'The Hindus, An
> Alternate History')
> To: silklist@lists.hserus.net
> Date: Wednesday, 29 April, 2009, 6:35 PM
> Ah Kiran,
>
> I knew before that Doniger and Pankaj Mishra are both
> generally well
> criticized writers. Mishra's posts have been criticized and
> proved to
> be hollow before and these are the types of writers who
> along with
> Martha Nausbaum try to write carefully as to make their
> side of
> argument stand out.

As opposed to the other type of writer who try to write carelessly 'as to make
their side of argument' stand in?

> Ramachandra guha is another example. He would cleverly
> filter out
> non-Nehru and non-congress stuffs from his books.

What an abomination! You mean there's nothing at all on the Hindu Mahasabha in
this base, rotten scoundrel's books? Why don't they ban him, and then burn his
book? Preferably while he's holding its only printed copy?

> So I would pick a low priced copy of this book just for the
> reading fun :-)

Reading fun? Reading is serious stuff, to be attended to in suitably earnest
mood, with some tissues at one's side. What fun?

> -- Bharat
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Kiran K Karthikeyan
> <kiran.karthike...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > 2009/4/29 Bharat Shetty <bharat.she...@gmail.com>
> >
> >> Ok, fairly interesting book.
> >

> > Looks like Doniger is somebody whose scholarship
> disputed and has a fairly
> > strong inclination to favor a sexual interpretation of
> Hindu texts. But as
> > the article below points out, this malaise has spread
> throughout US Hinduism
> > studies.
> >
> > http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Hinduism/2004/06/U-S-Hinduism-Studies-A-Question-Of-Shoddy-Scholarship.aspx?p=1
> >
> > This particular excerpt from the article was enough to
> convince me that she
> > should be read with a pinch of salt -
> >
> > [University of Chicago professor Wendy Doniger has
> been quoted in the
> > Philadelphia Inquirer calling the Bhagavad Gita, a
> sacred Hindu text, "a
> > dishonest book" that "justifies war."]
> >
> > I'm no scholar of the Gita, but I have read 4
> > versions/translations/interpretations, and I'm
> confused on how she arrived
> > at this conclusion. The wikipedia article doesn't
> speak too highly of her
> > either (though it is disputed), so you if you are
> reading it, you might want
> > to check out the talk section for it too.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Doniger
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wendy_Doniger
> >
> > But if you do manage to find a lower priced India
> copy, do let me know. I'm
> > poor too :)
> >
> > Kiran

      Bollywood news, movie reviews, film trailers and more! Go to
http://in.movies.yahoo.com/