Subject: Re: [silk] Netherlands to close prisons for lack of criminals
From: "Lahar Appaiah" <thew...@gmail.com>
Date: 30-05-2009 12:05

The court is supposed to appoint a lawyer for you. See the whole furore
about a lawyer for Kasab? Both names bandied about were Court appointed.
Motivation to win? Fight for those who have no chance against the system,
for one. Find a victimized innocent underdog and ensure that justice
triumphs.

For the system, though, it is vital that everyone gets legal representation.
The foundation of a criminal justice system is that a trial is fair, only
established facts are taken into consideration, and rigorous procedures are
followed, so that guilt is established beyond doubt. If you bypass that
(even for a Kasab), you undermine the foundation of your justice system. The
accused is entitled to a lawyer who will ensure that the trial is fair, that
improper evidence is not presented, and that a verdict is reached in
accordance with due process (and not through some arbitrary method). If the
accused does not have that legal representation, any trial becomes open to
accusations that it is a Kangaroo court.

Incidentally, I've always personally believed that jail sentences are not
adequate. Convicted criminals should be sent off to work for the Border
Roads Organization or something, and build roads and bridges where they are
needed.

Oh, and this is my first post here :-) An intro will follow.

-Lahar