2009/8/21 Divya Manian <divya.man...@gmail.com>

> On 8/20/09 9:10 PM, "Kiran K Karthikeyan" <kiran.karthike...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I assure you I had no such intent. My reason for posting it was simply to
> > see what silklisters thought could be the reason/motivation for this
> quite
> > significant change in religious thought among Americans.
>
> I go all weird when reasons/motivations are attributed to "all Americans"
> or
> "all Indians" or "all whatever segmentation of humanity". I think anything
> can be extrapolated to make it seem like a majority believe in it.

Your derision for the science of statistics notwithstanding :), to me it
does seem interesting.

Note how "According to a 2008 Pew Forum survey, 65 percent of us believe
that "many religions can lead to eternal life"—including 37 percent of white
evangelicals, the group most likely to believe that salvation is theirs
alone" is very different from just being tolerant of other religions because
you don't believe in God in the first place.

Kiran