On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Sudhakar Chandra wrote: [ on 09:50 AM 11/14/2003 ]
>> I am seriously thinking of starting an "international / fusion cuisine"
>> restaurant in the next couple of years.  I am crunching the numbers and it
>> looks to me like it will take some time before I can become profitable.
> Resurrecting an old thread: I am curious whether the above sentiment is
> still held by Thaths and others - and, in general, *what* alternative
> careers people are planning / fantasizing about.

I gave up on my restaurant idea. I crunched the numbers some more and
came to the realization that I had to give up too much of my life to
make a good attempt at making it a success (with no assurances of it
ever being successful). Restauranting is not such a calling that I
would gladly work 10-12 hours a way for 7 days a week for the next 2-3
years of my life.

At this stage I am flirting with alternative lifestyles rather than
careers. My current fantasy is a 5-year cycle where I worked for 4 and
took a year off to travel the world.

> This become even more interesting, given that the poster child example of
> techie-turned-restaurateur (on this list, at least) Madhu, is actively
> reconsidering his involvement in this space.

That is a shame. Tell us more, Madhu.

Thaths
--
Homer: Look at these low, low prices on famous brand-name electronics!
Bart:  Don't be a sap, Dad. These are just crappy knockoffs.