I know it sounds pompous and a really donnish thing to do but if you read the
story once more, this time as a biting social satire about the respect that we
all have for figures in authority, you might get a curious sense of duality
about each and every scene. On one hand, it is a comedy; on the other, it is
satire. Both are handled by a master at his prime. Of his short pieces, there
are others which are evocative; I personally like Taras Bulba, for the
spit-in-your-heroism of the eponymous hero.

Do try it again.