On Thursday 19 Aug 2010 6:12:48 pm Radhika, Y. wrote:
> i am beginning to wonder how much rewiring is in store. five years ago when
> my husband and i were first dating, he refused to buy a car with me as he
> was not "ready for the committment". What takes a man from that to changing
> diapers,to giving his son a wonderful bedtime bath every evening no matter
> how tired he comes home and most importantly ready to take on the
> "committment" of a lifetime???

I believe that Richard Dawkins is closest to the answer asaide from
reductionist explanations like hormones and biochemistry. Paternal altruism
among humans is (must be actually) a survival advantage.

Which takes us right back to the topic of monogamy.

shiv

PS as an aside I can imagine that giving that bath relaxes him and that he
looks forward to it during the day.