On 4/20/11 9:20 AM April 20, 2011, Kiran Jonnalagadda wrote:
On 20-Apr-2011, at 11:10 AM, Heather Madrone wrote:

Fructose, when it exists in nature, is usually in fruit and vegetables, which
also contain fiber that slows down the release of glucose and fructose into the
bloodstream.
So packaged pure fruit drink is the fructose minus the dietary fibre, which
means it's not as good for you as eating the fruit itself?

In terms of sugar metabolism, fruit juice is equivalent to soda. Some kinds of fruit juice contain vitamins and antioxidants that are beneficial. Others, like white grape juice and apple juice, are pretty much just another way to mainline sugar.

I didn't allow my children much juice when they were little. I didn't want them to become little juice-o-holics like so many other children I knew. Nor were they allowed soda except as a rare treat.

They still probably got too much sugar, and too many other refined carbohydrates (white rice, white flour, etc), but they got a lot less than other American children.

--
Heather Madrone  (heat...@madrone.com)
http://www.sunsplinter.blogspot.com

I'd love to change the world, but they won't give me access to the source code.