My girlfriend, Leslie Martin, is a PhD student in environmental
economics at UC Berkeley, and will shortly be visiting Coimbatore, Tamil
Nadu with a team of five research assistant students who are in an econ
masters program. They will be there to study how small firms,
particularly firms in the textile industry, deal with infrastructure
problems such as electricity shortages. They'll be conducting a survey
regarding power shortages, electricity demand, the adoption of
generators, and the extent to which firms are able to reschedule labor
to times when electricity is available.

Leslie will be there for about six weeks and would probably appreciate
meeting some local people in a nonwork context. If any of y'all are
nearby, I heartily recommend you drop her a line (she's cc'd above) to
say hello. Of course she has many fine qualities and I heartily
recommend her society to you!

Jeremy