On Saturday 21 May 2011 3:28:55 am Salil Tripathi wrote:
> Refugees from Pakistan have come to Europe since the Zia years, and many
> haven't gone back. Some have acquired citizenship. Ahmediyyas are another
> category who qualify for such a status, since they are a persecuted
> minority. Likewise with gay Pakistanis. They have "well-founded fear of
> persecution," the standard definition for granting refugee status. Other
> political dissidents too qualify. And then there are Kashmiris, who may
>  have Pakistani papers, if they are from POK/Azad Kashmir.

That is what I find so fascinating about the land of the pure. I have  seen no
evidence to say that Norway, or even the UK itself is full of Ahmediyas. Most
are Sunni reflecting the parent population in Pakistan - although some of the
refugees from POK may be Shia. Shias and Ahmedis did have reason to run from
Zia. Zia was called the Butcher of Gilgit I think. I would be grateful if you
could provide me with some more information on the shia/sunni/Ahmediya
breakdown of Pakistani refugees in Norway - or even the UK for that matter.

Zia came to power in 1977 when Pakistan had been in existence for 30 years.
You are saying that Pakistani refugees have been moving out of Pakistan for
the last 33 years.

It strikes me to ask why, if at all, Pakistanis were happy to be in Pakistan
from 1947 to 1977 when they started moving out.

It turns out that in the years 1947 to 1971 - Pakistan filled itself up with
refugees who were unhappy about being in various parts of India. They had "a
well founded fear of persecution" that was to have been addreesed by the
creation of the new homeland, Pakistan

In 1971 - someone persecuted someone else and Pakistan split up and Bangladesh
was created.

I wonder what it was that kept Pakistanis happy and content betwen 1971 and
1977. Perhaps the amputation of half the country and the hiving off of those
those pesky Bengalees served as a catharsis that fostered a sense of
satisfaction from 1971 to 1977?

You live in the UK I think. Parts of the UK are now indistinguishable from
Pakistan. To each his own I guess. Freedom of choice and all that you know.
The UK actively encouraged  "persecuted Kashmiris" to migrate and  live in the
UK where their fund collection helped certain charitable organizations like
the Jamaat ud Dawa and assisted the benign operations of the Harkat ul
Mujahidden and the Lashkar e Toiba. Some of these activities eventually
contributed to demolition operations in New York in the new millennium.

Can a fear of persecution be an end in itself? I don't like anyone but me, and
I opt out of any place that involves anyone other than me. I am that
exclusive.

shiv