On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 12:06, Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:
[.......]
> Why do we kill our daughters?
[.......]
> explanations, one cultural (the East is more sexist than the West) and
> the other economic (women fare better in developed economies) have been
> “implicitly assumed”, as Sen says, to account for the lower number of
> women. Sen dismisses both explanations—read his paper for reasons—and
> lays the blame squarely on gender discrimination, suggesting that
> employment, literacy and economic rights, including property rights, are
> factors that would help right the wrong.

Sen has a point about gender discrimination (see links below) and the
myth that women fare better in developed economies.

> dispossessed; live in a hut in arid interior Rajasthan; work like a
> farm-horse; are malnourished and barely literate. You have never
> experienced maternal love (your father killed your mother in a drunken
> fit when you were a child), let alone the milk of human kindness, and
> civilization’s little courtesies that we city dwellers take for granted.
> In this morphed form, your body and mind have hardened like the land
> around you. You are already on edge and you know that you are carrying a
> girl. You dread the eyes that will view you with pity and censure when
> your daughter is born. You have no food for yourself or your first
> daughter. And now another? What are you going to do?

That poverty is the sole reason for "killing the girl child" is a
myth, albeit a self-assuring reasoning that "such $backward stuff does
not happen to people like us", where 'us' is the social strata one
belongs to (or aspires to belong to), whereas, research proves that
educated Indian women *choose* to abort female fetuses.

From, http://www.zeenews.com/news708383.html
The women interviewed belonged to various religious and educational
backgrounds with some even having advanced degrees and approximately
half of them holding jobs. </quote>

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/asia-pacific/with-greater-education-and-wealth-come-greater-risks-for-indias-unborn-females/article2032342/
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/226173.php

--