> Absolutely, the nature of any suicide is tragic and perhaps has enough
> preventable causes. From the NCRB you are indeed right - I had only
> looked at data till 2009 when I'd looked earlier, and that shows a
> dipping or flat suicide rate:
> http://ncrb.nic.in/ADSI2010/table-2.1.pdf
>
> It's now 11.4 per lakh, when it used to be 10.8 or so in 2000. It was
> in the 9's in the 90s, but much of that was also about how data was
> collected - standards improved in the 00s.

The data collection process for reported suicides would be fairly stable and
consistent. A suicide is a subset of all unnatural death (UD) cases. These are
difficult to manipulate, unlike some other crime statistics, due to the
requirement to dispose of a dead body after following the legal process. All UD
cases routinely go for autopsy and suicide as a mode of death gets established
at the end of the inquest.

Regards,
Nandkumar