On 25-Feb-12 7:37 PM, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:

>> I'm still unsure why top posting has anything to do with Netiquette.
>> Top posting is what a lot of people are comfortable with, and is a
>> commonly accepted style. Its just an alternate way of doing things.
>> Trying to say that its bad etiquette looks like an excuse to talk down
>> to others and reinforce your own superiority.
>
> It's an argument that applies equally well to SMS-speak in email.
> There's no loss in semantic content - after a fashion - so why does
> syntax matter?

You only *think* you're joking [1].

Speaking for myself, I prefer the interleaved style. Wearing my admin
hat, I would prefer that listmembers do not top-post, but will
reluctantly accept that many (mostly mobile) clients do not give them
that choice.

It doesn't help matters that the two most commonly used MUAs, Microsoft
Outlook and gmail, all but force you to top-post.

I shall continue to hold this opinion
(that text-only, trimmed, and interleaved posts are the most
information-efficient; and the most respectful of the reader's time) but
I also have a threshold of diminishing returns for the amount of times I
want to remind people about it - otherwise good citizens of the list
(and also obvious technophobes) get more leeway in this matter.

I suspect I sound like the internet equivalent of the Oldest Member [2],
talking about the endless September [3]. Shrug. C'357 14 V13.

Udhay

[1]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YkwQSeijBsk#t=102s
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_Member