>> if he moved back to Brazil one might have
>> even called him a patriot that returned.
>
> Maybe. Maybe he'll re-apply for Brazillian citizenship, and then we'll find
> out. I could become quite the soap opera!

He does have a brazilian passport - you can't be a citizen of
no-country, so when you renounce one you have to have another
citizenship. See, he didn't choose to take up a Sing passport, so the
tax purpose may not altoghether be false.

> Well, I think you've put your finger on where some of the anti-Saverin
> outrage is coming from. I expect that the logic goes something like this:
> "Mr. Saverin made his fortune in America, and that was only possible because
> of the American system -- its laws, its infrastructure, its culture. But
> those laws, infrastructure and culture did not come cheap. They were
> purchased by the proverbial blood of patriots, from Lexington and Concord to
> Gettysburg and Omaha Beach. To regard the privilege of US citizenship as a
> merely mercantile arrangement is to disdain something precious that he got
> for free; it's an insult to every American who has served his or her
> country."  I confess that I see some validity to that point of view, although
> I'm not outraged myself. But I'm a silly little naif who suffered dysentery,
> worms, homesickness and a knife assault while serving my country as a Peace
> Corps Volunteer, with that old John F. Kennedy soundbite ringing in my ears
> "ask not what your country can do for you, ask etc."  Yes, I know how
> sentimental that makes me sound, especially on this list.
>
> Mr. Saverin is evidently somebody who asks what his country can do for him,
> not the other way around; citizenship is fungible. Well, hooray for him. I
> know some people who feel the same way about marriage; hooray for them too.
> Myself, I'm a sentimentalist about my marriage, but I don't think I'm
> superior to anybody on account of it. I don't pass judgement on people who
> marry, for example, for money. But neither do I particularly care if they get
> taken to the cleaners when the divorce happens.

In this case, you only care that he isn't getting taken to the
cleaners? :) Just yanking your chain, sorry

The patriotism argument works in every nation - the IITian that used
my father's taxes to go contribute his life's taxes abroad (and I am
no less, I studied in a govt funded college, but I have the tiny
excuse that I stayed willingly). Or those that made their fortunes in
India and became NRIs. And so on. There's the ungrateful wretch in
each of us - to our parents, to our society, to our country, and in
some sad cases, to their spouses and children. I don't ever intend to
ditch my citizenship - it's a weird loyalty I have to a nation that
despite its failings, its ridiculous laws, its insensitivity...holds
me dear. I adore my wife and kids. But that doesn't mean I offer
others no choices when their situation is different.

Having said that I would love to have 2.8 billion dollars and no
chances of a US visa :)