Coming from some experience in the gay rights struggle in the 80s and 90s,
I think multiple simultaneous approaches are important. The seminal (ahem)
event of the gay rights strugge was Stonewall - a violent riot in protest
against continuing police harassment. However violent protests alone could
not have gotten us to the point where a sitting US president expressed
publically his support for gay marriage.

We need direct action, political organisation, legal action, and
theoreticians. It can be important for the political arm to officially
disavow the actions of the direct action group, but don't fool yourself
into thinking we can succeed without one or the other.

-- Charles