This is from a post grad student in the US (a friend of a friend). I'd
think that one of the mobile broadband sticks (Reliance, Tata, etc)
might be the trick, but I'm not sure how easily and how fast a
foreigner on a tight schedule can get one. Can someone comment?

Udhay

<quote>

I need people who know New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, and also Kathmandu and
Pokara (Nepal), but also people with general India and Nepal
knowledge.

My issue is this:

        The wedding is right at the same time as the post-doc hiring
season.  I'm obviously not willing to screw up my physics career
forever by taking a 3-week trip to India.  Therefore I need reliable,
pervasive internet access that I can get once or twice a day both in
India and Nepal.

        I am thinking 3G hotspot, or internet cafe, or something else?
 I know that it is hard for a foreigner to get a local SIM card or
temporary phone, and I'm not sure what the standard is----is every
$20-35/night 3-or-4-star hotel (!!!!!!) that we are looking at going
to have internet that I can count on strongly enough for
career-depends-on-it considerations?  What about the hostels?  How can
I most easily and affordably ensure reliable daily communication with
North America?

        I really want to go to India, but I obviously don't want to
not get a job because I was there, and I need advice.

</quote>