I have a friend who has one. I've played with it. As I said when it first came out "there's no magic, it has to sacrifice resolution to get variable focus."

The 2005 paper[0] mentions this issue; their bet is that VLSI progress should eventually yield far more resolution than anyone knows what to do with, so (just like software people continually attempt to make computers slower even faster than the hardware people make them faster) in principle they're hoping to soak up that excess...

And a majority of journalism photos are shot at f/8 or f/11 - the goal being showing what the scene looked like than to make the scene artsy or nice looking. I don't know if the Lytro shoots at f/ 8 (or even allows setting the aperture).

IMO, the long term future of journalism photos lies in mobile phones. As demonstrated during the Arab Spring and as currently being demonstrated in Syria.

My impression is that mobile phones are essentially set up under the philosophy of "f/8 and be there"; the CCD helps with DOF and the modal use case being "here are my smiling friends in front of X" practically demands that focus be wide.

Apart from the focus-pull gimmick, I'm drawing a blank on consumer uses for light field cameras. It could be very useful in microscopy (in mineralogy and petrology it would already be interesting to recover 3D-structure by sweeping a narrow synthetic focus plane, even more so when the synthesized plane can be tilted; I have to imagine that for biologists, whose subjets move, this might be even more interesting), but in most consumer photography, the objects are opaque at the wavelengths of interest. Surveillance is another obvious use[1]; synthetic aperture techniques were developed because when the subjects are not particularly keen on being observed they have a great relative motion to the camera, and often a separation well outside of spitting distance, but consumer photography normally has willing (if not posed), close, relatively stationary[2] subjects.

OK, not completely a blank: possibly useful for small children and animals[3].

-Dave

[0] http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/lfcamera/
[1] would synthetic focus be useful for isolating faces in crowd cameras? for range estimation? [2] hmm... sports? are there any sporting events which are not already well illuminated enough for a fast telephoto? [3] OTOH, I'm fairly happy with a steinbock we got using binoculars in front of a mobile phone; didn't even have to 'shop in the lens flare
cf http://bit-player.org/2012/light-field-photography