On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Sean Doyle <sdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree. Bragg is often surprised at what his guests say (e.g., that Malory
> of "Le Morte Darthur" was a "thug") - he obviously prepares for his podcast
> but he doesn't try to script/control his guests too much (except in in the
> interest of time). The variety of topics is wonderful. I wish that the
> science/math ones went deeper but almost all of the presentations on history
> or literature are new to me.

Bragg's genuine interest in Philosophy and History shows through,
though he does lean a tad heavily on British history, after all it is
a BBC4 show.

Bragg's general bewilderment at science and maths is typical of a life
human-scientific [0]. When discussing Galen or Avicenna his love for
history can be seen guiding a principally scientific discussion on
medicine, into all sorts of interesting nooks. On the topic of
galaxies and milky ways he turns mute as a toad and lets his guests
ramble on - I have learned not to bother listening to them unless I'm
out of listening material.

[0] humantific ought to be a word, but it's now a trademarked
brand-name - leading separately to the question of what happens to the
brand-name when say the Oxford English Dictionary decides to make it a
word.