We've discussed this here before (e.g. [1] [2]), but here's another
worthwhile take, from a former colleague at Yahoo! and a recent silklister.

Thoughts?

Udhay

http://blog.mizannethrope.com/post/45039337095/happiness-is-pine-sol-and-clorox-and-like-them-both

Happiness is Pine Sol and Clorox and Like Them Both, Probably Toxic in
Large Quantities

Happiness. There are a lot of books written on this topic. I know
because I’ve read them all. ALL of them. This is a matter that mankind
has pursued throughout time. It’s fundamental to our very existence.
It’s what separates us from the beasts of the wild. What is happiness?
How do we get it? If we have it, how do we keep it? Or more precisely,
how do we prevent ourselves from losing it? When we have it, how do we
know we have it?

I started seeing a therapist when my mother was diagnosed with advanced
stomach cancer. I probably should have started years earlier. Years.
Maybe at birth. One of the first things she asked me was, “What makes
you happy?” I kind of stumbled when she asked that so she rephrased the
question. “Can you tell me a time, recently, when you felt really happy?”

After sitting there for a moment, I said the first thing that popped
into my head. That’s what you are supposed to do in therapy, right? Not
over-think the question but rather, respond naturally so you reveal your
true self. So I told the unedited, unvarnished, unmitigated truth. Or as
Oprah would say, I told MY truth. So here it is. I am happiest when….

“The hour after the cleaning people leave my house. When everything is
clean, orderly, and smells like Pine Sol. That’s when I am happiest.”

You know you’ve achieved something when your therapist looks a little
puzzled.

I joke all the time about being OCD. In reality, I do not suffer from
obsessive-compulsive disorder. At least not in a clinically diagnosable
way. I really shouldn’t joke about it because plenty of people really do
have debilitating issues associated with OCD. I am just a freak about
tidiness and thus, my Twitter handle: @clean_freak.

Many people apparently take me at face value. Ergo, some of my Twitter
followers include: @scrubblingbubble, @cleanercleaning, @abhousekeeping,
@goofoffpro (a cleaning agent, apparently), @acepressurewash, and
@bugoffseatcover.

I will readily admit that the smell of cleaning products makes me feel,
well, happy. Those same products are probably going to give me brain
cancer. Although to be clear, I’m not sniffing them in open containers
like gasoline or airplane glue. The smell of cleaning products just
gives me a weird feeling of comfort when I’m cleaning or otherwise at
home. Like all things revealed in therapy, this too, can be traced back
to my mother. My very Korean mother.

Margaret Cho does a great routine about her Korean mother. After her mom
suffered a heart attack, she came to live with Margaret. Her mother told
her about her near-death experience. In broken English, she said to
Margaret, “After I die, my spirit float out my body. I float far, far
away. I go you house. I look down. Ay-gu! Why so messy?”

And that folks, is probably what my mother is doing right now. Looking
down at my house today and thinking, “Ay-gu! Why so messy?” (Because I
was away on a business trip for 5 days, mom! Don’t judge me!)

But to get back to my earlier point, what is happiness anyway? I think
my initial response to my therapist hit the nail on the head. Happiness
is not some big, grand destination. Or even some fanciful life-long
journey. It’s the sum of all the little things. For me, it’s
crystallized in that moment of peace and serenity when everything is
just-so. In a house with 3 dogs and 3 kids, it’s rare. It’s the calm
sense of accomplishment I feel when I am getting things done. Not huge
things. Little things.

I remember when I was in school, I’d get incredibly stressed during
exams. I always thought I’d feel so relieved when they were over. But
the moment I turned in my last test, the feeling of lightness I thought
I’d have never materialized. Or if it did, it was never as uplifting as
I imagined it would be. The quest for happiness seldom results in a
sustainable sense of overwhelming joy. If it comes, it usually lasts
only for a fleeting moment.

And really, if you felt happy all the time, how would you know what it
is to be happy?

There is a beautiful passage in The Prophet -

    The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can
contain.

    Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in
the potter’s oven?

I read that to mean that to truly experience happiness, you must
experience deep sorrow. Which to me, means that you can’t be happy all
the time. It’s not possible and it’s not even desirable.

Take pleasure in the little things and stop looking for the “HAPPINESS,”
all-caps. Be happy with “happy,” lowercase. And understand that sadness
(or in my case, a messy house, or on a whole different scale, the recent
death of my mother) is what makes knowing happiness possible.