On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Deepak Shenoy <deepakshe...@gmail.com>wrote:

> appropriate comparisions. When I complained (and continue to complain)
> of acquisition costs - not overhead, but just the costs of acquiring
> donations - of around 50%, I am told this is the industry average. If
> it is, it is obvious why people don't donate...

Isnt acquisition cost a skewed metric to be evaluating charities on ?

lets say you bought a brand of Soap after watching some adverts about it -
you don't think about the advertising cost that inflated the cost of the
Soap when you buy it.  Also the impact of every person who did not donate
raises the acquisition cost which then impacts the person who donated -
i.e. they think the cost of acquisition is too high. (i.e. the cost of the
Soap is higher because of all those people who didnt buy the Soap after
watching the advert, so they had to publish more adverts ) .

I think an equation which takes into account - total raised monies, cost of
raising monies, total %age of annual turnover that goes towards the actual
purpose of the charity may be better ?