On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
sankarshan.mukhopadh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Srini RamaKrishnan <che...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> The conservatives will obviously welcome this and the politicians will
love
>> it because it's a meaningless but decisive move; with no political
downside
>> to it because of the taboo.
>
> It would take a remarkable politician to bet him/herself against the
> "(s)he opposed the anti-porn bill and betrayed our women" tirade. Our
> current crop of elected representatives are not made of that stuff.

Only an ardent believer in democracy who possesses immense faith in the
Indian public to listen to reason will risk political capital to object to
this. I'm not holding my breath.

More realistically, I believe we have a few well meaning politicians who
will speak up politely if the civil society objects loudly.

This is hard to stop - even if the Congress so much as sniffles the BJP
will use it to political advantage. With election season coming that can be
ill afforded. Much better for the Congress to one-up the BJP, and win a few
points with the conservative vote bank by quickly embracing the ban,
trashing a few shops and websites and returning to status quo in a while by
under funding the mandate.