On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Deepak Shenoy <deepakshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Speaking purely economically - it's cheaper when they ban the darn
> thing. If they make it legal, they'll charge a bloody license fee and
> have auctions for licenses and some random minister will fraud the
> taxpayers and all that. I'd have put in a smiley but I think it's
> real!

Peer to peer cell phones will be a reality within a decade, and
governments are not going to like it, not just for the lost revenue,
but because they give up control.

The triangle of control has always been between power, money and
technology, and they are always engaged in a tug of war. It holds true
in the telecom space as anywhere else; (viz. regulatory pressure (aka
power), consumer demand (aka money) and technological innovation)

We live in interesting times when technology is very often an
alternative to a lot of thorny political problems. Power and money
recedes from the equation when you can innovate the problem away.

No doubt, this is a minor act, an aberration in the script; in a
decade or so the technology landscape will be sufficiently fiscalized
- so you will need power and money once more to affect the equation at
scale because the innovators have been co-opted.