On Sun, 2013-05-12 at 13:48 +0800, Charles Haynes wrote:
> Seems unlikely. The Burgundians believe they came from Scandinavia
> and
> they're almost certainly just another East Germanic tribe. The name
> can be
> traced back to at least 250 AD in Scandinavia, so unless
> the Scandinavians were visiting South India earlier than that (or vice
> versa) it seems pretty unlikely.

Hmm.. Well Telugu certainly has a lot of words that rhyme with Burgundy
like rundy, yemundy, wastundy, teeskondy etc.so I thought Burgundy might
be a word in Telugu. Possible meanings would include "I have a burger"
or "I have an iceburg (sic)". A variety of wine cannot willy nilly be
ruled out as a meaning.

Of course Tambrams would know no Telugu would they - so it doesn't
matter what I say..

;)

shiv