The gourmands on the list (I'm thinking Charles and Gautam chiefly,
but also several others) will probably be interested in Steven Poole's
new book, You aren't what you eat (2012)
http://stevenpoole.net/you-arent-what-you-eat/

Guardian's review:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/oct/21/what-eat-steven-poole-review

<quote>
The chef Anthony Bourdain writes of the chef Thomas Keller: "You
haven't seen how he handles fish, gently laying it down on the board
and caressing it, approaching it warily, respectfully, as if
communicating with an old friend." The old friend, should we not have
noticed, is dead. Are we to suppose that Keller is a medium? Or is he
a necrophiliac fish-fiddler, a Jimmy Savile of the deep?
</>

The blurb:

"Why is everyone so obsessed with food? How did chefs come to be the
gurus of the age? And what’s with serving chips in a beaker and
slivers of vegetable on hot stones? This polemic against “foodies” and
their oral fixation pits Jamie Oliver against Jacques Derrida, and
sees the author eating a nitro-frozen bolus of olive oil, marvelling
at food fashion, and descending into the ninth circle of foodist hell
at MasterChef Live."

Interview: (53 mins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G1DcoLxQpY