I'd been chatting with Atul every few days throughout the many months of this
his last battle, and I found him both indomitable and yet realistic about his
chances. He was also incredibly humbled (not something I expected) by the
financial and emotional support he was receiving.

In our last conversation (last week) he was still trying to find some way to
get Sloan-Kettering to take him on ... he never stopped dreaming big.

I know a lot of Silksters had hard old rows with him, but as it was with Raj
Mathur, who went before him, you'd have to admit that he was a man trying to do
good things, however imperfectly. I will miss him.

Danese