On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 09:22:47AM +0530, SS wrote:

> None of this is new. George Orwell predicted it. It happened in Stalin's
> Russia, and China has been well into this for decades.

The current capability is completely new. Many misunderstand
Vernor Vinge to be a science fiction author. Reality proves
them wrong. We're on a one-way fast-track ticket to Emergents-land,
return from which will be impossible.

> Power and control have always meant control over what people say. The
> anger and indignation in my view comes from the idea that some "free"
> societies were somehow immune to this.
>
> To my mind the only way to counter this is by subversion from within the
> system, not by fighting the system. The system looks out for those who
> fight it. The system needs to be inundated with people who are doing no
> wrong. A world of sheeple who do not worry about surveillance makes it
> easier to look out for those who are avoiding surveillance. In my view
> the thing to do is to accept surveillance, embrace it, and set up the
> mechanism for subterfuge. Only that route can allow creative ways of

If you embrace the system then there cannot be any subterfuge.
So, let's rather not.

> spooking the system to emerge.
>
> If I were a criminal, this is exactly what I would do. Surveillance is
> designed to discourage criminals (specifically terrorists) from using

No, that is absolutely incorrect. I see you've bought into the terrist
propaganda. Surveillance is all about controlling the masses.

> the existing system and restricting their ability to communicate and
> plan. A useful side effect for the government is that everyone gets

Except the watchers themselves, of course.

> watched. The criminal would be the last person to complain about being

Forget the criminals.

> watched - only honest people do - although criminals might add to the
> protests acting like "Honest people who genuinely want privacy" simply
> as a political ploy to pressurize governments who are high on their
> ability to control.
>
> I am not trying to criticize or mock anyone, but I have noticed that in
> America the constitution guarantees certain freedoms and those freedoms

The problem is not limited to the US.

> are being removed, leading to protests. If I extrapolate this I predict
> that there is an outside chance that Americans might win court battles

We're living in a postdemocratic world. The courts are complicit.

> that protect US citizens, but non US citizens will continue to face
> everything that can be thrown at them by way of control and monitoring.
> Under the circumstances,  I see no option other than to simply cooperate
> with the system and discover my own ways of doing what I might want to
> do in private.

What is this 'private' thing you talk of, citizens? Remember, you
opted in to the Total Panopticon. This is way beyond of paltry
things like Orwell imagined.

> Incidentally is there a "right to privacy?". I have no idea.

If you have no right to privacy, you have no right to your life.