On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Kingsley Jegan Joseph <k...@kingsley2.com>wrote:

> Wow, that's really, really ambitious. I'd love to know what tactics
> you use to maintain stroke thicknesses for intricate scripts like
> Sinhala or vertical-consonant-stackers like Kannada/Telugu. Good luck!

Sinhala is one of the ones where we are having a tough time coming up with
a design that users like (and is harmonious with other scripts). A vast
majority of native Sinhala speakers seem to prefer variable stroke widths
in Sinhala fonts and react poorly to proposals with uniform stroke width. I
think that uniform stroke width is actually easier to read for large blocks
of text and it is a matter of overcoming the visceral reaction against it.

Kannada and Telugu haven't been that bad. Tibetan and Myanmarese are more
challenging. And then there is Nastaleeq (urdu) which where words begin up
and to the right somewhere above the baseline and descend down and left
ending at the baseline.

Thaths
--
Homer: Hey, what does this job pay?