John Sundman wrote:

This country now spits on people like those who came here in the condition of my forebears and built the damn place.

It spit on them then, too. Probably more literally than today.

I wonder how many truly poor people ever emigrated to the Americas. Aside from those who were imported to penal colonies (not a long-lived phenomenon) or imported as slaves, people had to pay their passage to the New World. This was an expensive enough proposition in the 17th century that some of my ancestors indentured themselves for a decade or so to pay for the trip across the ocean.

People might arrive in the New World penniless (although the records I have seen indicate that there were often means tests for immigrants -- the truly penniless might find themselves on the return ship along with those who failed the medical examinations).

You will note that in Emma Lazarus' poem, there is no mention of treating those poor like royalty once they had landed on these shores. There was work a-plenty, in fields and factories, building railroads and canals, scrubbing floors and digging ditches. Menial work that paid almost nothing, for the most part. The teeming masses were welcomed largely because they suppressed the wages of the native underclass and prevented them from getting too big for their britches.

This is pretty much the current case with H1-B workers now. They are welcome largely because they keep wages down and accustom the growing American underclass to a bigger boot on the back of our necks.

It's so much more convenient for the aristocracy when the American underclass directs their discontent at the latest starving group imported to keep wages down rather than taking action that might rock the banana boat.

--hmm