On Wed Jun 04 2014 at 9:19:56 AM, Deepa Mohan <mohande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And on a related topic...I find that many north Indian language newspapers
> and magazines stick to the numbers as written in that language, but Tamizh
> (I don't know about other south Indian languages) magazines/newspapers
>  have adopted Roman numerals for numbering the pages. Was this the practice
> from the start? Were Tamizh numbers ever used in recent, living memory?

When I asked my parents about this recently, they said that while they were
taught the Tamil numerals in school, they never actually came across them
in day to day life going back to the 50's.

Not having memorized the Devanagari numerals, I personally hated
encountering them on bus signs and license plates in North India.

Thaths